View Single Post
Unread 03-07-05, 08:26 PM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Walter,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

As you know from following the thread, I am "sold" on the LOP concept provided that one has an engine monitor, particularly in terms of effeciency. I've looked at the data, and it says what it says.

Also, Continental's new FADEC system runs LOP I understand, and I guess they wouldn't do that if it was going to tear up the engine. This gives me some additional comfort.

On the subject of ICP's, I still don't have a firm understanding of how much is too much. I understand that it varies with crank angle, and in any event, I'm not going to be able to measure this directly.

Right now, I don't have an engine monitor, and I've already blown this year's "goody budget" on a new GNS480 (hopefully installed in 2 weeks).

So, for at least the next year, I'm going to have to run with what I've got. My main concern is not doing any damage to the engines in the mean time.

Heretofore, it has been my practice to take off at full power, reduce to 75% power at about 500-1000 AGL (with everything at the top of the green including fuel flow), and cruise at "65% power" and peak EGT (which would actually be somewhat less than 65% power, really). I generally use the cruise power (and mixture) setting in my initial descent, and gradually reduce power so that I am at approach speed when I level out (assuming I am going to be at the IAF at that time). This gradually cools the CHT's.

I suppose the main thing that I need to verify at this point is whether the "top of the green" fuel flow used in climb is at least 125 degrees rich of peak EGT.

If so, then my operating practices should be OK (provided of course that I keep the CHT under 400).

If there is not a 125 ROP margin in my climb power setting, then I need to enrichen enough in the climb to get 125 degree temperature margin.

Is this correct?

Is this a reasonable and conservative way to operate until I get all the goodies?

Thanks,

Kyle

PS: I recently read an article by Mike Busch over at CPA. He endorsed LOP operations in his article.