Thread: Autopilots
View Single Post
Unread 02-28-05, 12:41 PM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
We have the 400A as well. After having it worked on a couple of times in the past 5 years, it works great most of the time. The other 5%, it doesn't seem to work at all.

Anyway, Autopilot Central in Oklahoma is well known as an expert on these systems. I see them recommended more than anyone else, and this is who we used. They did a good job. It wasn't cheap.

I believe there is another shop in Illinois that is considered highly skilled in working on the 400 series. I could probably find the name if you want it.

I believe I have heard mention of a shop in CA that works on these, but the name escapes me. I would suggest talking to Tom Carr or Tom Rogers at Cessna Pilots Association. I am sure they would be able to recommend someone.

At the risk of repeating something you already know, it is very important to have the airplane level and properly trimmed before engaging altitude hold. If it still doesn't work, then you've got a problem.

I think we have reached the point where, the next time the AP really starts acting up, it's time for a S-Tec. We have spent enough on repairs to make a major down payment on a new system already.

Good luck!