Thread: "Shock cooling"
View Single Post
Unread 12-12-11, 09:16 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
I thought I read (somewhere on this site, or on the rtaerospace site) that the gear doors opening creates a significant drag penalty...so I think a mod that eliminates that adds an extra layer of safety (especially during an engine failure after takeoff). Also, if I recall correctly, getting rid of the doors simplifies the gear system a little (making it easier to maintain). Www.rtaerospace.com still advertises the STC for about $4G + labor...
Ok....I can understand that and I asked the same question to a 210 pilot I know years ago and his response was "just maintain it". Now does it make it safer....I'd say yes since you are removing components so less to go wrong. However, It does look cool not done since a million miracles are happening....but is it worth the price?...I don't know that one either. Others will have to chime in on that one. As for drag penalty if everything works right I was tought -240 fpm for up to 8 seconds...in the sim it was a non-event above blue line.

When I was shopping it would have narrowed the field down 2 small since I could not find any that had that done....My advice is concentrate on the big mods and if you need the smaller add them later...just my 2 cents.

Brent

Last edited by Red Air Rambo : 12-12-11 at 09:32 PM.