View Single Post
Unread 01-12-09, 04:00 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
hharney, thanks for the info. It seems like there should be a limitation of -20C posted in the operator's manual unless the winterization kit is installed. But now that I know the nomenclature it is figure 83A in the maintenance manual for 65-69' models. There is also a placard figure 1 to "remove winterization kit for temps above -20C." It seems to me like the placard should say "install winterization kit for operations below -20C". What are everyone else’s thoughts? Perhaps a new AD is required!

One final thought, Cessna called it a winterization kit...but I'm flying in the winter without it. So perhaps it should be call the extreme cold weather kit...-20C is extreme cold weather. I really think Cessna went out of their way to ignore the whole -20C operation.

================================================== ================
"In the POH of my 1968 Super Skymaster (lots of emphasis on the SUPER) Section VII on Optional Systems contains "Cold Weather Equipment" and says:

WINTERIZATION KIT.
"For continuous operation in temperatures consistently below 20 degrees F, the Cessna winterization kit, available from your Cessna Dealer, should be installed to improve engine operation. The kit consists of two baffles for the front engine, one baffle for the rear engine, and crankcase breather insulation for both engines. Once installed, the crankcase breather insulation is approved for permanent use in both cold and hot weather."

Attached is a photo of the front baffles but I have never seen the rear engine baffle. This statement is pretty standard in most all the Cessna piston Pilot handbooks except for the Turbo models. Maybe the Turbo models generate enough heat and do not require this?"