View Single Post
Unread 01-10-21, 04:33 PM

MD83driver is on a distinguished road
Having just read the basic question the first time and not having understood why it was asked, I will qualify my earlier answer.

I agree with "mshac". The runways like that I go into with my Skymaster and Debonair have no obstructions to worry about. I have a lot of experience and learned to fly on 2300 foot strips. Every landing I made, whether it was in my private flying 91 and in 121 operations, I always analyzed my performance and each landing. Analysis consisting of: Touchdown location, total distance used from threshold, distance remaining, and what could I have done better. The airline I upgraded to Captain with had a 50 hour graded period prior to signoff. Every landing had to be in the landing area 500 to 1500 feet (different than the touchdown zone), on speed and on center-line. You screwed that up once, you got another 25 hours, but only one time.

I guess what I am saying is short fields in this plane is not for the inexperienced. Careful analysis of YOUR past performance is a must, prior to attempting anything short, meaning one should already know what he or she is capable of before attempting.