View Single Post
Unread 08-03-15, 06:05 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
STC auth

on a sep thread (on CFO) they talk about an FAA ruling in 2006 that says a STC holder must grant specific permission including plane s/n for use of its STC. That must be the move that caused the original change I mention in my post...ie that you use to be able to take a autopilot off a salvaged plane and use it on anther plane...then all of a sudden (and it 2006 seems right) you could not. But there are some advisory circulars since published that might make it work...like AC 23-27. This says that if you have a vintage plane (yes, my 1968 Skymaster qualifies under their definition), then you can replace old hard to find parts with something more current and safe as long as a STC or PMA exists for use on other aircraft (ie no car parts).
I am sure there are other methods of getting a new experimental but safe autopilot to be used on our planes, or perhaps a certified (like STEC) used autopilot.

Anyone have any experiences where they got a 337 approved, or otherwise got an autopilot legally in their plane without going bankrupt?

let the opinions and rants flow....