View Single Post
Unread 07-28-15, 07:42 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
Thanks Herb...i needed the users manual, so ordered the download version from esso (via your link). Hopefully will be ready to grab shortly. The install manual on ebay for 200+? wth?

anyway - yep, if I hit the powerball I will get a new a/p....but really I am ok with just the heading bug stuff working. it was working fine until I replaced my stack and in parralel had the hsi overhauled, so thinking it was something done.

In 2009 I had King Avionics out of UT work on it, out of the plane, and got it working with the HSI. I found their notes and schmatics, so hoping I can figure this out once i have the user guide in hand.

But while we have this thread fresh....

let's all discuss the current state of buying an a/p for our planes....

what do you all know? at one point when i first started flying 11 years ago, you could buy a used STEC off of ebay and install it in another plane...then they made it difficult to do so...they required you to go back to the mfg and get a STC issued for your plane, as opposed to where it was originally installed...pricing it the same as new...killed that market.
I heard a couple of years ago this all relaxed again, and you can buy a used a/p from ebay,wentworth,texas air salvage, etc and install it? Might be FSDO specific?

On a related note - I heard of a FSDO note out of TX that talked about the ability to replace any part in planes past a certain age with a part the IA feels increased safety, without it being certified for that plane...I've heard tell that you could easily replace some parts with newer better stuff, and cost effectively, as long as the IA felt it increased the safety of the airplane. Urban myth? FSDO specific?

ok, let's all chat
Not without an STC or a Field approval. STEC has to be STC'd for the plane so check their website for capability. I think the 55X is the main unit for us

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years