View Single Post
Unread 07-10-21, 04:02 PM

Timcote1960 is on a distinguished road
337 shopping

A few responses on this thread:

1. There's really no doubt that my front engine requires the big hit. Ive seen the borescope (oil pumped up past the ring) and poor compressions myself. My motors have been run hot and the front is high time. While the loving intent to protect a brother from nefarious mechanics (yes, there are some) is appreciated, that's not my read with this guy who comes well respected by the community in NH. Accusing a mechanic of selling an unnecessary engine is like accusing a man of rape---better have some solid evidence before making that call. Or to use the medical metaphor, mal occurrence is far more common than malpractice. I'm closest to the evidence and pretty confident replacement is the right call. Love you anyways Dave, and I know you're heart's on my side.

2. I have been looking at my PMs. It seems the sweet spot for acquiring a 337 that can reliably haul me back and forth DC to Boston is listed somewhere around $90K (there are 4 candidate machines in that ballpark). None of them is perfect; hopefully my own will be perfect by around October, November?. Meantime, the drive on 95 is brutal and commercial isn't an option with the dog. Redundancy offers transport reliability, with the trade-off of doubling the woes and complications of aircraft ownership. But we knew that already---we own twins.

3. Still a go for Fly-in Sept 17 weekend at KLCI in Laconia NH. Maybe I will have a flyable 337 myself even, maybe not. At 61 years old, I remain hopeful that before the clock runs out I will achieve this dream of one or two safe 337s I can depend on flying me around whenever I want if the weather and my own skills allow. Not there yet...

Respectfully submitted.

Tim Cote
N639GC
N?????
Norm Asp 337G N122WB