View Single Post
Unread 10-07-23, 03:33 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
I was thinking of just filling the strut with air until I could get it to another shop for annual, then have them perform the service with nitrogen. The problem I have is to fill the strut with air, the valve is on the backside of the nose strut and when the strut is down it's in an alcove (I have a 1966 337A). I can reach around in the cramped space, but I can maneuver to remove the cap (which I think I can feel there) or get an inlet nozzle on it. From what I read in the forum, I have to be able to release the nose gear lock and shift the nose gear forward to get to it. There are 3 ways to do this from reading the forum:

1. Lift the entire aircraft up as you are performing gear retractions which requires a lot of jacks.

2. Lift front nose with jacks or pushing the tail down, pull the landing gear circuit braker, set the gear to up position, turn the master switch ON, then for a moment push in the circuit breaker, then pull. (I worry about the main gear and if I'm setting up a gear collapse situation either during the procedure or while taxing. I also don't have a circuit breaker I can pull manually).

3. Someone mention taking the rear door on the back of the nose gear which I don't think I can do that as just an owner, that sounds like A&P territory.

I plan to go down tomorrow with an endoscope I bought to attach to my phone to confirm I am indeed feeling the service value, but I can try to reach it again, but I don't think there is enough room to work with the value.

If anyone else has a non-gear retract or a way to safely release the nose gear uplock that doesn't sound like it would give me a gear collapse situation, I would appreciate it.

Karl

Last edited by CO_Skymaster : 10-07-23 at 03:36 PM.