View Single Post
Unread 11-29-20, 03:33 AM

chrisb is on a distinguished road
Help & Advice on an avionics upgrade path

Hello All :-)
Some of you may remember from an earlier thread that i'm in the process of a very deep restoration of a P337H Riley Rocket that I pulled out of a salvage yard in the Netherlands last year.

The aircraft has been re-registered on the N-Registry and will be under Part 91 rules. We're about 18 months away (i'd guess) from starting an avionics fit out and I wanted to start the research process into how exactly to go about it.

What's my target

Other than my incredibly analogue Yak 52, the other aircraft that I fly a lot is a Diamond DA42 which is G1000 and GFC700 equipped. It's an extremely powerful tool and i'm a big fan of the Garmin ecosystem.

In an ideal world, i'd like to put in the aircraft:
- 2x 10.5" G600TXI's
- 1x GTN750 XI
- EIS TXI (+7" display)
- GFC700
- G5 AI/DI
+ All the other associated remote transponder and radio and interactive (flight stream) gubbins.

I'm not unrealistic around the cost of such things :-) However I just wanted some advice as to whether you think that it's practical to do this sort of thing under field approval/337 (especially the GFC) or whether i'm being a bit unrealistic.

I also need to find somebody to do this with us in Europe (South East of the UK) as we don't necessarily have a local FAA office we can work with :-D

Before somebody ask's 'What's your mission and why do you want all this stuff' For completeness... :-) I have a hole in my diary in about 3 years time where i'm planning to take a year out and travel the world in this aircraft. I'd like to bring it back across to the United States, do some of the big fly in's with you fine people and then go down into South America. On a day to day basis i'd use this aircraft to fly between the UK & France (about an 1.5h each way in the air)

Any thoughts or advice?

Kind Regards