View Single Post
Unread 06-17-20, 04:15 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
no experiance insurance

I know it was noted to hit up Avemco below with no middle man, but in a case where you need options, a broker may be the trick. When I was getting my plane, I didn't even have my multi. Avemco and AOPA said "no" faster than I could finish the sentence (probably more so because the "kids" who were helping me out did not understand what I wanted to be trained in my plane). So I called the broker I go through for my 172. Same day he found a company who would insure me. In addition, my instructor did not need to be a named pilot as long as he met the open pilot requirements. The nice thing about it was the broker asked all the questions of the insurance company for me before showing me my options.

For example, the original quote was $5,000 with hull ($45,000), zero deductible motion/not in motion. Before bringing that to me, he asked if there were other options for a lower premium and they said sure! So my options were the $5,000 for the above, or $2,800 for the above with a $250 not in motion deductible and a $2500 in motion deductible. It was nice to have the choice without having to dig for it. The above is $1M coverage as I have an umbrella policy for higher.

My insurance has the following requirements:

me - 20 hrs dual, 25 take offs - that is it - remember that is with zero multi experience. I ended up getting my training in my plane as well as taking the multi check ride in it so that burned up the 20 hours and 25 landings so I was ready to fly solo the second I got my rating.

Open pilot - Instrument rating, 1,000 hrs total time, 250 hrs multi and 10 hrs in the 337

I was feeling defeated hitting up the insurance companies directly - not advocating brokers, but that is just my experience and it worked for me.

I hate insurance but it is one of those necessary evils.............