View Single Post
Unread 05-19-06, 12:03 PM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Sirs,
Im know this may be a little late, but here is a local perspective on the subject of mounting non TSO'd equipment in the panels of our aircraft.
The BHM Alabama FSDO has agreed that my local avionics shop at TCL, MIDSOUTH AVIONICS, may install the GPS 296/396 series using the Airgizmos panel dock. The only paper work required is a log book entry and weight/balance update as with any other installation. My shop feels that this has opened up the door for the EFIS units we are all interested in.
As has been said, the different FSDO's are having varied views on this subject.I for one feel that anything we can do to make our aircraft safer to operate should be done. As technology continues to advance we will be forced to approach this subject again.
As for those few individuals who feel that they need to interfere in the business of other pilots, they would be wise to remember that any and all aircraft could be grounded at will by an FAA inspector as it is practically impossible to in full compliance at all times.
We need to operate safely above all other considerations, and if this new technology prevents one of our group from killing himself, and perhaps his family, then it must be put to use.
Regards
James T Grant