View Single Post
Unread 08-25-10, 01:35 PM

stratobee is on a distinguished road
Ernie, I think everyone is missing the point. I'm not talking about odd opportunities. Those exist in all markets and like you said, are rather random. Right time, right place kind of things.

I was merely reflecting on the fact that overall prices have decreased. This has obviously upset many people here and I'm made out to be the bad guy, so I might as well just embrace that since the damage is already done. I understand that my views are in-popular on a board where most people have paid for something they thought would if not increase in value, at least not decrease. Believe me that this is not something I obviously wish upon you, I'm just observing this a a spectator and a potential buyer.

My point was alway this:

A real depreciation in overall valuations across the board for aircraft, whether you have new engines or clapped out ones, whether it's in mint condition or has flown 100.000hrs, whether it's a Cessna 337 or a Luscombe.

The same depreciation has not happened on the maintenance side (in fact the opposite), so there's a bigger gap between what you can get for your aircraft when you sell it, and what has gone into it in parts and maintenance. All that effort and those parts will not get rewarded come selling time.

So, sure, a clapped out 337 that you want to make mint will cost you tons, this I completely agree with. But the point I was making was that the same clapped out or dolled up 337 5-10 years ago would cost twice as much as it does today. Nothing in the aircraft has changed, just the economic times.

Last edited by stratobee : 08-25-10 at 01:50 PM.