View Single Post
Unread 08-09-04, 03:39 AM

Kevin McDonnell is an unknown quantity at this point
I must be missing something here:

The UBG-16 has a graph that shows 7 bars (6 for the cylinders and one for the TIT). How do you use one of these on a twin? Do they have a mode that switches the bar graphs between the two engines?

Furthermore, aren't you going to run out of inputs on that device? The UBG-16 has 16 inputs. You have 12 cylinders in your aircraft. That means you have 12 CHTs, 12 EGTs, 2 TITs (using 26 inputs so far), and you said you want Oil Temp and Pressure. By my count, that puts you at 30 inputs.

I don't understand how you're going to make that work with just one device.

Regarding the earlier comments about using 2 single engine monitors vs. a multi-engine monitor, I greatly prefer having to singles. In my case, I actually removed my JPI-760 and replaced it by a pair of JPI-800's.

Here are my reasons: on each engine you are likely to have a critical temp that you are monitoring. For instance, you might be watching CHT 3 on the front and CHT 5 on the rear. A twin monitor requires you to display the same parameter on each engine at the same time. For instance, both CHT 3's must be displayed if one of them is to be displayed.

Also, the JPI 760 lacked in available inputs, meaning things like RPM weren't available. When you use a digital RPM indicator, you'll see just how poor the Cessna stock gages are. In my case, one of mine was 100 RPM in error. And manually sync’ing the engines with digital RPM is trivial.