View Single Post
Unread 08-06-04, 09:30 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Gordon,

I had an EI US-8A (previous, not bar graph model) in my P337.

I don't see what your mechanic's big obstacle is. The EGT guage is not required on the type certificate, so why is adding an EGT gauge any different from adding an ammeter or such? It just requires a 337, and should be very easy to get approved.

I think your mechanic is right that there may be an issue with the STC. Have you, or he, talked to EI about getting the STC paperwork fixed (by EI)? They are good folks, they might be able to help.

Failing that, I would think getting a field approval on a 337 would not be hard, even in today's environment. EI is well known, aircraft quality stuff that should not create any safety worries in an inspector's mind, and it IS STC'd for the Skymaster.

My two cents, I am sure others will have opinions.

BTW, if you do get the US-16 and buy the voice annunciator, I would strongly suggest you get oil pressure sensors on each engine wired to the annunciator as well. It is cheap to do, and will give you an instant audio warning if you lose oil pressure in either engine, perhaps helping you to shut the engine down in time to save it, or at least reduce the damage.

Kevin