View Single Post
Unread 12-15-02, 11:14 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I don't completely agree with Larry's comments about turbo maintenance. I have owned a normally aspirated and now a P337. I have also owned other turbocharged airplanes, including a T210 and T182RG.

In my experience with all of the Cessna turbocharged airplanes, the turbos and controllers do not require ongoing maintenance, *except* in that they offer an additional thing to break. So yes, once in a while I have had problems with turbochargers and controllers, but once in a while I have a problem with most everything on an airplane. My read of Larry's comment (and maybe I read it wrong) makes it sound like your mechanic will frequently be fiddling with these things to keep them going, and that has not been the case for me. Only exception is the need to lubricate the wastegates frequently (I do it at every oil change) to keep them from getting sticky. The turbochargers themselves don't require any maintenance at all, until they get damaged (FOD) or fail.

As Larry said, if you buy and install the quite inexpensive pressurized mag kit, you do not need to do any additional sparkplug or magneto maintenance. If you do not, as I have not (yet), you will need to clean and gap your sparkplugs every 100 hours OR your mags will misfire. If you do the maintenance every 100 hours on the plugs, you do not need to do any additional magneto maintenance.

Big differences between P and normal for me:

1.) P's cost a LOT more to buy.
2.) Fuel flow is higher, as Larry said. But they are 20 to 40 kts faster too. But it does not make up the difference.
3.) P's give you vastly more weather capability, for the additional cost.

All the comment about would apply to T337s interchangeably with P337s. T337s can be a bit less expensive to buy, have a much higher service ceiling (30,000 plus), and are scarce as hen's teeth to find for purchase.

Both P's and I think T's have a gas-fired heater (fire-breathing monster) to maintain, which IS an expense, as there is an AD to be complied with periodically. The normals use manifold heat for the cabin.

The only P related (not turbo related) ongoing expense I can detect are the extra time removing the floor panels every year (they are sealed, and have to be removed with a heat gun and profanity) . Someday I will have to replace the door seal I suppose, but I have been very careful not to cut it when entering and exiting, and have not had to do that yet (knock on wood).

Kevin