Thread: Turbo overhaul
View Single Post
Unread 02-04-18, 02:15 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo overhaul

First the why....after annual last October, my T337C front engine went from a qt oil about every 8-9 hours to a qt about every 1.5hrs....pretty drastic. All indications (other than high oil consumption) show normal, on the EDM960, and otherwise. Have taken it to 4 mechanics before last week (now a 5th), and the first 4 checked for leaks, compressions, breather tube, borescope for health/oil burn indications, and even did the airspeed indicator to the oil filler neck to see case pressures during run up on ground. No definitive answers, but one cylinder was really low, and others low...about 800 hrs on engine. SO they recommended I fly it 10 more hours and track oil consumption religously, and suggested it was low cylinder compressions or turbo most likely.
So I took the plane to a 5th shop and just put in work order to pull the one really low cylinders, the other two on that side, and replace with new cylinders. Not by coincidence, that is same side as turbo, so asked them to remove all turbo sys so I can send off for overhaul.

So....had my wife look through TAP on last flgiht towards mechanic, and dig out ads on turbo overhauls. I have used one on the list, but looking for any input others have, positive or negative on pricing, customer service, turnaround, etc...
in no particular order):
Mike's Tulsa, OK
Martin Induction Systems Enid, OK
Main Turbo CA
Approved Turbo (ATC) CA & FL
Airmark FL