View Single Post
Unread 08-01-22, 08:28 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
If you want to stay legal AND stick to a budget, why not buy a complete system from one of the guys on here parting out 337's then send it to Autopilots Central for OH? My guess is your cost would be a fraction of buying a new certified AP.
I think that would be the case if the 400A was in great condition. In that the airplane is being parted, that is probably not.

There are only two STC'd autopilots (current), both GeneSys (STEC). The GeneSys online STC list breaks them down. It is a large document. I've attached the pages that cover the Skymaster. The 336 is not addressed at all. The STC list was updated on 7/21/22; there were no changes to the C337 listings.

Here are the systems for the G, my airplane, and the prices. GeneSys has not updated the prices yet; they are for 2021.

Name:  53704 AP Upgrade.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  31.3 KB

The systems listed are all rate-based autopilots, and altitude preselects are unavailable. I've spoken with GeneSys and three shops, and they all have suggested the same; the 55X or 60PSS end up about the same. There are some small differences but talk to your installer.

When adding trim, "AP" is for the autopilot only. Adding it to the aircraft is the additional "AC" amount. The shops recommend removing the Cessna trim, if you have it, and going with the GeneSys trim. I agree, as if the control yoke button fails, that alone is $1K if you can find it.

All three shops were upfront with me, saying to remember these are not digital autopilot, and they will not be as smooth as a 400A that has been maintained. These are from customer comments. They also expected labor to be the same as the base equipment charge. APC suggested the 55X with both aircraft and autopilot trim, but given my 400A, I continue to maintain it as long as possible because I would not get a return on the installation given the age of the airplane. Once it goes out, it becomes a financial decision, and we each have different considerations.