Thread: Blow By Oil
View Single Post
Unread 09-27-05, 12:56 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
A lot of the oil leak problems is that the oil is leaking past the string of thread that seals the crank case halves. I've had luck in taking the back bone bolts out, one at a time, alternatlly, using a q-tip swab and varsol, then MEK to clean the hole bore completely, squirt some red RTV into the hole, coating the bolt w/red RTV, and then assembling the bolt/washer/nut and torquing.

If the leak is coming from the case halfs themselves, then use a stainless toothbrush with the same solvents to thoroughly clean the split line area, and RTV that area. I usually use masking tape to make the RTV line neat. Most times, this required the removal of the throttle body assy and flow divider to gain access to the areas leaking.

I had one engine that had a persistant leak and it looked like it was the top seal on the pushrod. It turned out to be oil leaking around the rocker shaft retainer stud threads only when the head got good and hot. Never leaked on the ground runs, only after a flight.

Anyways, this is why I asked if you had a mechanics licence, because of the dis-assembly required.