View Single Post
Unread 04-05-04, 06:03 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Tach Problem

Keven
It is a long from the rear mag to the tach in the dash ! Are you sure the wire is ok ? Did you disconect the pick-up leads near the mag and check the pick-up for continuity. If it is ok then check the wire from there to the tach. As for buying a new pick-up "good luck" When mine broke I repaired it, it took me a couple of days because after I removed the coating from the outside of the pick-up (that took about 4 hours) I had to solder a lead back to the winding, and the winding is made of wire smaller than a human hair (that also took a long time). I screwed it back in the mag, hooked it up, started the engine, an "WALLA" it worked. Sometime later I was in the avionics repair shop and the guy was looking for something in a drawer ( I was looking over his shoulder ) when I saw a pick-up laying in the drawer, I ask him if he would sell it to me and he said no but he would give it to me ( I excepted of course ). I installed it in place of my repaired one and it is still working fine. If the pick-up is bad and you can't find one and you don't want to convert it to the newer type that runs off a second set of points in the mag, bring it to OKC with you and we will see if we can fix it.
Fred N358