View Single Post
Unread 11-11-21, 04:00 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
update

To clarify, my oil pressure had dropped to the bottom of the green and was then bouncing between about 10 psi (there is no "10 psi" indication, but it was just above 0) and the bottom of the green.

On the advice of one of the other members I am working with the mechanic for me to do the work and he will look over my shoulder. I will be starting work on it next weekend starting with the oil cooler and oil pressure line. Based on the rate of oil loss (4 quarts in about 6-7 min) it has to be a pressurized part of the system OR a monstrously large hole in the case. All the oil is from the back half of the engine so it is not the crank seal or the prop governor system and the rear engine does not have an unfeathering accumulator. I am hoping for a smoking gun - cracked oil cooler/blown gasket. I doubt it is the oil pressure line as that is small and the gauge was still working, albeit low and fluctuating.

Even if I have to pull the engine, me working on it with his assistance will get it hammered out before he would be able to get to it.

I have rebuilt a lot of hot rods and bracket drag cars and no less than 25 car engines, so I am not a stranger to a wrench and safety wire and reading a maintenance manual, so this is easily in my wheelhouse. In fact it kills me that I cant legally change my own starter!!!

I will keep the group up to speed on what I find out!