View Single Post
Unread 08-05-21, 08:52 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Nose Gear

Keith,

From the symptoms you are providing, it sounds like the most probable cause is the nose gear door actuator. You should not be able to open with your fingernail, and if over time it drops, this means your actuator is not internally locking (the 6 little balls on the piston). Either it is worn out, balls are missing, or it is not rigged properly so that the actuator strokes all the way to engage the balls. Your S/N does not have check valves for the doors - just the internal actuator locks. Not likely your door vent valve in the power pack - that is for thermal expansion in the line.

I would say send that actuator to Cox for a proper rebuild, and have a trusted mechanic rig and install it.

As far as how long does it to just remove those actuators to replace the seals inside of them. Nose Gear Door actuator: Remove and install-1 hr, disassemble, reseal and reassemble-3hours, rig and do gear swings-3hrs. Total time-7hrs (this is a very generous estimate that I would give a customer, however would bill actual...likely around 5 hrs). BTW - I do not do work for people, I am just reaching back into my past on how I would have done it if I was still running a 145 repair shop.

Jeff

Jeff