View Single Post
Unread 09-04-21, 12:30 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Ditto all.

I learned in planes that had gauges that were worthless or bounced so much essentially said nothing at all. My 182 has been that away all along, worthless. Once, on a trip from out west to the east, the cessna fuel gauges said I had a 1/4 tanks with a fuel truck "top off" at the last stop. We were in light the fires and go mode and left without dipping the tanks. But after a while pit of stomach didn't feel right. Landed and we were on fumes. Got reminded again to dip the tanks. So have never trusted those gauges and haven't looked at them for years. Gauges could give you a false sense of security. I added a fuel flow and dip the tanks, dip the tanks, dip the tanks.

I also don't fly down to "legal reserves" and always stop with excess fuel. (Wife says about to die if there isn't plenty of fuel.)

Just added a JPI engine monitor with fuel flow in my 337. 337 gauges have been beyond worthless from the getgo. Likewise reset the JPI at top off. But even with fuel flow, I still dip the tanks. (what if they are a little shy of full top off by teenage lineman? Experienced that more than once. You've entered "x" amount when really you have "y" amount.)

I have concocted a number of scenarios in my mind where fuel flow can mislead me and I don't rely on it entirely (for example recently had the fuel flow sensor run slow on rear engine and returned to normal after flushing it-must have had some sediment. Or what if a fuel leak somewhere.). Therefore would like some working gauges. Even so, at that point I will continue to dip the tanks. The perfect trifecta will be dipping the tanks, fuel flow and accurate gauges.

I keep a folding plastic step stool in the plane....so I can (you guessed it) dip the tanks. You can get clear dip tubes with markings from many sources. With regular use, you will get familiar with how much fuel you have at a given marking.

I plan on Cies probes and aerospace logic indicator when I can catch a break. (as I understand it will require removing upper wing panels and a project like that will certainly lead to surprises that will add time to install.)

Last edited by wslade2 : 09-04-21 at 09:42 AM.