View Single Post
Unread 02-29-16, 03:23 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Smile RSTOL Turbo 337

Good afternoon,

I've had a Robertson STOL turbo for decades. I transitioned in a non-turbo ages ago. What I recall of the non-turbo was that once you got a bit hot and heavy, it took quite awhile to get from 7,000 to 9000. I wasn't looking for a turbo per se, but in retrospect it was the right choice.

With the RSTOL the unofficial trick is to leave 1/3 (full wing) flaps down and pull it BACK to 120 mph. That way I can still see over the schnozz. VX is 70mph, and vy 85mph, but I like to see where I am going, AND give the engines a little more cooling airflow. With 1/3 flaps, full power and 120 mph, 2,000 fpm can readily done. It bogeys up.

There are a few advantages with turbos

1) You can climb from anything to anything with almost constant climb rate. Even on the east coast, in summer it's nice to quickly pop above 10k convection layers common around
Wash DC.

2. Ballpark, one picks up around 10 mphs per 5,000ft climbed. So whatever your power setting gives you at sea level, at 10,000 add about 20 mph, etc.

3) Advice from a T210 pilot who used to fly Aspen CO all year, including winter. When I asked him what was most important in icing, his boots, his heated prop? He replied turbo's because icing is always just a few thousand feet thick, so you can always climb out of it quickly. After that he said heated prop, which the REAR prop is always, as it is right in line with rear turbo exhaust. Keeps from icing and gives that famous Skymaster blaaaaat sound, as rear prop chops exhaust.

4) At higher altitudes (even low teens) the turbos make the aircraft quite fast.

5) Single-engine service ceiling for my turbo no-pressurized is 16,800 ft !

6) For just spooling around down low, low power scenic cruise, the turbos are just along for the ride.
Fort Washington, MD 20744