View Single Post
Unread 09-06-04, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Nick:

Arguably, this website was created partly as a result of a vociferous argument on ROP vs LOP on another website. I'm a mechanical/aerospace engineer (MS Caltech) who attempted -- unsuccesfully -- to mediate the discord. You can read the for-LOP arguments in GAMI's website (I attended a mini-version of their seminar and had an opportunity to discuss it with their people).

Here's my take, for what it's worth, and I should alert readers that my views have changed a bit since my GAMI visit and given the escalating price of fuel (I fly the Bahamas a lot, where fuel is the same as in the Virgin Islands).

For the average pilot (read: not technically savvy) with standard instruments and unwilling to give added attention to engine management in flight, stick with the POH directions to operate at ROP (typically 50-100 degrees ROP).

Those who are technically astute (you don't have to be an engineer or a mechanic, just someone who is technically inclined and understands the subject), who have installed GAMI injectors for smooth operation across all cylinders at LOP, who have cylinder-by-cylinder engine management/monitoring equipment, who are willing to to give a bit more attention to engine management in flight, and whose engine is no longer under warranty (notice this new point) can run LOP at cruise, and I think they will benefit from it.

BTW, 6 years ago I cruised the Virgin Islands for a week on a rented boat (something between a yacht and a trawler) with 3 other couples and loved it. My favorite: the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Would love some day to see the islands from the air, so I might take you up on your offer.

Ernie