Thread: crashed
View Single Post
Unread 03-17-10, 04:59 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Dale,
The NTSB report indicates the wing severed at WS 177 not 150. The Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) mentioned WS 150 for inspection. 150 is the aileron attachment point and 177 is outboard one rib.

The incident aircraft was a Riley Super Sky Rocket which had the TSIO-520's not the 550's. These were rated at 300 HP each.

All,
Just a point about the SAIB, if anyone has the extended wing fuel tanks and / or the winglets make sure you inspect the areas described in the SAIB above. I suggest that you do it sooner rather than later to make sure there is no indication of potential issues as the SAIB points out.

I have just completed my annual and I have the winglets but DO NOT have extended wing fuel tanks. While performing the annual this year I had a copy of the 23 SID's that Cessna is proposing and a copy of the NTSB report on the incident aircraft in New Jersey. I can say that this annual inspection was the most thorough inspection that I have ever done. With the SID's in mind, it created a better and more thorough desire to look harder at components. With the NTSB report I was concerned about the incident with the wing and made sure that a closer inspection of those areas were covered. The first flight after the annual was Monday and the SAIB was published Tuesday. Craig and I went back to the aircraft and checked all the items on the SAIB. Everything checked ok. So if you have these mods check the areas on the SAIB.

Here is a quote from the SAIB about the incident aircraft:
The subsequent investigation revealed there have also been reports from the field of wrinkled skins,
working rivets, cracks, and loose wing tips.

This concerns me, make sure you check your aircraft for these items. Even if you don't have the mods it wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes to look this on your aircraft.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 03-17-10 at 05:05 PM.