View Single Post
Unread 02-11-19, 08:58 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Front engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcomet View Post
So the factory remans are in and I have 30+ hours on them. The breakin went smoothly, temps and oil consumption are down and everything is going great...
So I actually have more concerns about your front engine than your rear. The front engine on a Skymaster has better packaging (the cowl is tighter but better designed) from an airflow point of view but your front engine is running hotter than your rear.

Looking at the data I think there's one or two smoking guns and it's the fuel flows and possibly timing. I've attached two flights from this week; one yours and one mine so we have similar ambient temps, etc. The book calls for 18.1GPH takeoff fuel flows and the conventional wisdom has been to pad that a bit. Comparing the two, your front engine ranges from 17.6GPH to 17.8GPH at takeoff power and my front engine seems to stay at 18.3GPH. So the front needs more fuel.

The other thing to look at is ignition timing and the rate with which your cylinder temps rise. Your CHT's climb FAST and this can be an indication of timing that's advanced. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be checking my timing for the opposite reason; I think mine might be a degree or two retarded.

Action items:
  1. Check fuel flows as per TCM SID using calibrated gauges.
  2. Check timing using a digital angle finder, not just the analog dial with buzz box.
  3. Let's park ours sided by side, decowl and compare baffle seals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cgrbr takeoff front.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1917   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtav takeoff front.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1918  
CNC3

Last edited by kilr4d : 02-11-19 at 07:45 PM.