View Single Post
Unread 08-21-18, 07:49 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Just my opinion, but I think Ed's maintenance costs are on the high side of average. I have only really owned one Skymaster but dad had an original 67 model before this model that I have now. Saying that I have been maintaining this C model I have since 1994. I have been through both engines, I used factory remans, 20 years apart from each install.

I have used a handful of maintenance facilities over the years. Some have been what I call normal and some have been overpriced and overrated. My normal aspirated bird over the last 25 years has probably averaged $2500 to $3000 for annuals. There are always the known and unknown items that come up on some annuals so that number goes up but my average means that I have had a lot of annuals in the $1500 to $1800 range. I can remember a couple not more than $1200. There are shops out there that are just more expensive and I think that is where Ed is at. Is the maintenance better? In some cases yes but not always. I had a couple shops that got me for numbers that Ed is quoting. I didn't go back. I think it's good for a different set of eyes to look at the plane at times but remember every time you go to a new shop you are paying to educate the shop about your plane. I get very comfortable with shops that I frequent so I think it's best to have a second opinion, or at least I used to. I been doing my own annuals for the last 10 years. Really ever since I did my restoration on my plane in 2008 I have done 80% of the annuals including an engine exchange. That's where you really save some money. Not everyone can take the time to do this I understand but I have grown to really know my plane. Most of my annuals now are very routine. I tend to be doing more proactive items than reactive items because stuff is all good.

I don't know where the idea that a pressurized model is 2 times the maintenance cost? I don't believe it and probably is less than 1 1/2 times if the aircraft is kept up. You have to fix stuff that breaks because it will lead to more issues. It's the first annual after buying the plane that can be a shocker as it's normally a shop that has never seen the plane and will want to really go over the plane in fine detail. If the plane was purchased at a discounted price then it may have not been flown and not been properly maintained. That will cost you some money the first couple years. I think we can all agree that this has been discussed across this board many times.

Find the right plane that fits the mission and prepare to spend some money the first couple years. But there is no guarantee that you may need an engine too. There is just always that risk buying someone else's problem. So do your homework, as you are doing, and really find the right plane or save some money to make the right bird fit your mission. But saying that just because it's a P model you have 2 times the maintenance is not correct. Not even close. A non-pressurized turbo model can be even less than the P model. And in some cases the turbo model will be very similar to the normal aspirated. The only diff is turbos, which really don't require much and the gas heater.

Just my thoughts, and not trying to dis Ed's expenses just trying to compare with whats out there.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years