View Single Post
Unread 08-18-18, 11:46 AM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Some great additions to the library, Herb. Much appreciated.

I've already approached the only skymaster owner I know of in this area about selling. He's not even remotely interested, even in time sharing. So I guess I'm in for a fixer upper. Either that, or someone who just lost a medical

My mission, as you have correctly sussed, is to be able to make some relatively short trips around the east. Anything from Prince Edward Island down to the Outer Banks (out of CT). Those look to me to be somewhere between 2 to 3 hours depending on the model you fly. As my other thread pointed out, I just wasn't sure which model actually fits the mission, considering that I don't know which if any model will get me over these 15000 foot tops that we've been seeing a lot lately. But you've pointed out now that the pressurized isn't likely to fulfill that. So that kind of settles that. From what I read the turbo is able to go considerably higher perhaps because of its lighter weight, I'm not sure. Or, perhaps it's that the pressurization has an all too sudden failure beyond a critical point.

The potential for the turbo to climb higher over that weather, or faster out of sudden icing conditions, is what allures me to forced induction in general. So then there's the cost justification you alluded to. You may recall that Ed had posted very detailed numbers on his normally aspirated, which came out to about 12 thousand a year in maintenance over the course of nine years. But then one of the recent posts on my other thread suggested that that was a high number for a normally aspirated and perhaps more in line with a turbo model. If the latter is true, then I'm definitely good with the cost of ownership on a T. But if Ed's numbers on a normally aspirated are correct and to be expected of a reasonably well maintained aircraft, and a turbo really will run about one-and-a-half to two times that cost, then ownership of a T starts to become less justifiable for me, even if I can swing it.

By the way, your comment in video about getting butterflies before a flight, even for an experienced pilot, was reassuring. For starters it means I'm not just chicken. But it also means that a critical appreciation for the gravity of what it is you're undertaking can stay with you after all those years. Those butterflies are there to keep you alive. Hope they travel with me always, personally.