View Single Post
Unread 07-07-22, 01:49 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Kikv Exec One Aviation - Des Moines, Ia

Spent a week in Des Moines last month for an athletic tournament. Decided to use Exec One Aviation at IKV Ankeny instead of Des Moines Intl (DSM) due to lower costs.

PROS:
1. Ramp parking is FREE. Did I mention FREE? (Hangar is $100/night - I passed.)
2. FBO let me keep a crew car overnight (a 2019 Chevy), which they normally don't allow. I thought I had a Hertz car waiting, but mistakenly reserved it starting the next day. I came back the next day and swapped cars.
3. Hertz is across the street at the Chevy dealer and will deliver/pick up cars from the FBO. You get the "local" price instead of the "airport/FBO" price, saving hundreds in my case. Don't get me started on FBO rental car mark-ups.
4. Self-serve 100LL was $5.99, not bad considering. Pump and credit card machine were both in great condition. I topped off upon departure.

CONS:
1. Airport is about 10 miles north of downtown Des Moines (not a big deal to me).
2. Staff at Exec One acted disinterested at best. The type of place where you walk up to the counter and no one looks up from their phone/computer until you say something, even though they can see you. The staff upon leaving was different, and slightly nicer. I called twice and spoke with "Mark" prior to my arrival to make a reservation and provide my ETA, but when I arrived it was as if we'd never spoken before. What did the employee's name tag say? You guessed it - "MARK".
3. Fuel pump turns off quickly when it senses no fuel flowing. It turned off on me while I repositioned the ladder to fuel the other wing. First time this has ever happened to me. Just be aware.

Last edited by mshac : 07-07-22 at 01:53 PM.