View Single Post
Unread 01-01-21, 06:22 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I live on a ranch, so none. They start grass and brush fires. We do shoot a lot, and most of us have rifle ranges, so we will let them rip!

The best display I ever saw was right before I left for the Army. I was at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, and just off the bulkhead on the bay was a large barge loaded with them. The show started, and then I notice three sailors dive into the bay, swimming frantically towards us. Sure enough, everything on the barge went up with a BOOM. It was awesome! Everything I heard over the next three years, even the heaviest, could not compare what happened on that barge.

The US Army is heavy at Corpus; it has always had a helicopter overhaul depot since 1961. It even had fixed-wing in the early years. Even though it was night, an AH-1 Cobra had just completed a flight demonstration and was winding down on the distant ramp. He immediately lifted off for the sailors, stuff flying everywhere off that barge, but I'm sure easier than coming off a firebase under attack. He hovered over them, they latched onto the skids, and he moved them over to the bulkhead with the Cobra right on the water. It was impressive, those big blades beating the air into submission.