View Single Post
Unread 05-13-16, 08:24 AM

cbxmike is on a distinguished road
Dave,

The compass is a great idea. I'll have to explain to my teenagers why the compass app on their smart phones won't work for this.

Yes, I agree to that a dual Alt failure is hard to believe. I typically fly long trips so I guess one could have failed initially and I didn't recognize it. I have the Alt restart button. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that used on older style Alts that did not automatically flash their field when running?

I've heard from another Skymaster Mechanic friend who brought a dozen or so O-2's out of the dessert many years ago that the mating surface for the Altenators can be tricky or uneven due to a poor engine case design in that area and that oil leaks after replacing Altenators can be problematic. Anyone able to confirm this?

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that I'm kind of a battery guy and I always put the battery right on a charger after running the engines. I typically keep it on a "maintainer" float charger while sitting in the hanger. It's made for aircraft applications and not something generic. Some believe in these "tenders" and some say no. I've had good luck with them over the years.

Thanks,

Mike