View Single Post
Unread 06-29-02, 09:50 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Arrow Timing... yep timeing.. will but, he said that he checked that...

larry said that he didn't have a mag drop... and both mags set wrong.. well it could happen but,,,, it seems strange that one is trucking along and then suddenly after over night stay he starts runing a higher EGT... could be maybe one came lose... but, again the probability of that is real slim....

After checking for leaks... on the one side he said he thought was runing hotter... we need to do a compression check... as I will bet the reason that his mP and all isn't comeing up is because he either has a burn valve... or a intake that is sticking a little... compression check and listen for the hiss... in the intake and exhaust... don't be frightened if it does... because it just means that the valves are not seated... sticking valves are one thing that these engines do when they run hot and you run the multi vis oil...

they get carbon and gummy... a good way to clean it out is the old Reslone trick... as Skyking can tell you it helped clean his up right away... but, the folks at reslone don't make a aircraft product so your on your own... I know nothing about it... and I wouldn't run it all the time... probably the last 5-10 hrs before the oil change... you would be surprised at the differance after all the carbon comes out and the varnish is sent packing... again this is not a recomendation... as the lawyers will jump to me promoting something that the manufacture doesn't say anthing about... av blend is another one that is made for aircraft but, its more expensive... and I don't think it does as good a job... but, they do have approval from the faa... just not from the manufacture... who counts most...

As to his symptoms I would say that it is either a leaking intake... or sticking valve... and them leaks are hard to find... so it takes someone runing the engine while the other does the squirt test and checks...

compression test will tell me more .. as well as looking at the spark plugs... a cyc that is runing lean will have a bright and new looking plug.. while a normal one will be somewhat coffee colored... like the guy who came and gave the talk about spark plugs... you all missed... you would have been able to see one that was normal and one that is runing too lean... or burning... sorry... he is not doing that any more...he put on a very informative show... and gave away lots of info as well as some products... Champion was sold and now doesn't put out that any more... might be on the web though... might check... anyway awaiting for more test results.. and data... their Larry... don't make me come back their and hunt you down... smile... GMAs