View Single Post
Unread 07-20-18, 08:57 AM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
I'm not going to the NM event, but ...

There's no doubt it would be a long day, and that headwinds westbound should be taken into account.

However, for reference ...

Earlier this week I completed an 1150nm routing between Springbank, Canada (CYBW) and Orange County CA (KSNA) in one day. I departed at 7AM Mountain time, and landed at 2:30PM Pacific time, with 6 hours of daylight remaining. I stopped twice for fuel, bathrooms, and refreshments (though I could have done the trip with only one stop).

My point is this: If I had an additional 250nm to go (making it a 1400nm trip), I feel it would have been quite manageable.

I would characterize a 1400nm Westbound trip as a long, yet manageable day, to be preceded by a good night's sleep, and followed by a restful day.

Eastbound, the trip would be faster (tailwinds), but due to time zones, the number of available daylight hours is less (but still enough -- I'd want to leave at dawn though).

I very much agree with Steve. Fatigue is an issue on a flight of this length, and must be carefully considered and managed. Splitting over two days is a good idea if you can do it, but single day is manageable if not.

Final thought: I would be careful of get-there-itis. Even if doing it in a single day, leaving an extra day or two in case of weather or other issues makes sense. This is always true, but particularly in the summer thunderstorm season.

Just my two cents.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Last fall I made a very similar trip to Taos, N.M. so I have some familiarity with the route. Unless your other hobby is competing in "ironman" competitions you might want to consider splitting the ride into two days. Particularly westbound into the wind. Coming home, in the flight levels, with a favorable wind pattern, maybe. Otherwise, unless you're being paid for the work, stop and smell the roses. Fatigue is a risk factor to be ignored at your peril. Have a great trip.