View Single Post
Unread 03-07-12, 09:26 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Being highly fuel-conscious on our extended overwater surveys, I agree with the kudo to the Shadin. Over time, with a visual verification of full tanks on departure, and careful tracking of fuel adds after landing (I keep a running spread sheet), I've found it to be consistently accurate within 1-2 gallons. I try to maintain my fuel gauges, but just as a 'sanity check against' the Shadin and time flown/fuel burn - and in case of a leak somewhere that doesn't register on the Shadin sensors.

At our usual (low) altitudes and distance offshore I can't risk waiting for an engine to stumble before switching tanks. So when using the aux tanks, I burn the mains for 1 hour, then switch one engine to aux at a 'cardinal' time (e.g. on the hour or at 15, 30, or 45 mins after) and note the time on my kneeboard. Then 15 mins later, switch the other engine to aux, burning both aux tanks exactly 1 hour.

Since our survey cruise is 100 knots, there's aux fuel left at the end of an hour. If I need to use it, I go back to each aux tank - one at a time - for another 15 minutes. Again, at a higher altitude I'd wait for the fuel flow to start dancing around, but not where we are.

Joe