View Single Post
Unread 03-03-12, 12:43 AM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
Any recommendations for an electronic fuel gauge?

Hi,

I have an O2 (337B) with the military fuel gauge. The aux tank readings are always spurious with full scale deflection up on one and no indication on the other, or intermittent at best. The main tanks seem OK. We've tried changing probes, cleaning contacts and micro switches, but no joy. Swapping probes doesn't seem to shed any light either. The problem appears to disappear, only to reappear again. Hard to pin down if it's a gauge problem, wiring, switch or probe issue.

I am thinking about trying an electronic fuel gauge. Does anyone know of a gauge that's STCd for a 337B that provides a good indication of fuel qty and any probes that go with it. The probes are capacitance types and I am hoping that they are not the source of the problem and that it is just the gauge.

Also, can anyone tell me what the Pennycap fuel system is and whether the O2A has this system. Many fuel gauges say they are compatible with the Cessna Pennycap system and I have never heard of it.

I am a military pilot and am used to having accurate fuel indications and making in flight calculations and decisions based on accurate figures, so eyeballing and dipping is not a satisfactory solution to inaccurate gauges. What's more, in Australia (and according to the US FARs BTW,) an accurate means of assessing fuel quantity in flight is mandatory. Fuel supplies in Australia can be few and far between, and the aircraft may be used for long range over water patrols, as well... So you can see my concern!

Thanks in advance.

To see the machine, go to www.ipas.com.au

Conway

Last edited by ConwayB : 03-03-12 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Extra info added