View Single Post
Unread 08-24-02, 05:47 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
P leads were broken. So, when I thought I was turning the mags off I wasn't accomplishing anything. Lesson learned.

Logbook shows that the mags were removed and worked on about 3 years ago which would have been less than 100 hours before I bought the plane given how little it was flown. But my mech says there's no way that any significant work was done on them given the shape they were in. So we're no longer taking the logs at face value and are going to check into everything.

But given the amount of hours I'm putting on the plane (150 in the last 8 months) versus the amount it was previously flown (25 total in the 2 years prior and only about 50/yr for the previous 25 years), I should think that we'll eventually get things working right.

And thanks to GMAS and all the others who have written with info and ideas. I'm saving everything, printing it out and taking it to my mechanic. You guys have all been very helpful.

So, while I'm seeking help, how about someone telling me how to seal the darn avionics compartment? We've tried everything and still it leaks when I fly into rain. The last rain I flew into knocked out my GEM. Now I no longer know my EGTs or TITs or any other temperatures. Sometimes when I fly into rain it knocks out my Shadin fuel flow gauge -- it registers 0 pounds per hour until it dries out.

My mechanic is about at his wits end. Says he's tried everything, sealed every place he can think to seal, put in new silicone gaskets under the access plates in front of the windshield and still it leaks. Not as much as it used to (it would soak my feet!) but still the avionics are getting damp. Hard to do IFR work when you have to stay dry! Any suggestions?