View Single Post
Unread 08-22-02, 11:40 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, Bob is just being nice. He's inquiring because I have two failed mounts on the right side of the rear engine. And, no, I don't bounce my landings! My mechanic said he had never seen engine mounts fail the way mine did. But then he also said he had never seen mags in such bad shape and the engine still ran, either. Just lucky, I guess. The engine mounts failed sufficiently to cause the entire engine to shift to the right such that I could no longer get the oil dipstick out without using a lot of force to push it to the left. So when I got back from Mexico this weekend I told my mechanic about it which is why he went looking to find the failed mounts.

Skyking, the mags had 1200 hours on them. I haven't yet looked through the logs to see when they were last overhauled. But they're getting overhauled now!

My mech said the screens in the prop governor were clear so he thinks the RPM variation on the rear engine that I have been experiencing at cruise may have been caused by the mags. But the interesting part about that is that when I would do the runup and the mag check, the rear was completely steady. No RPM drop on either mag. Go figure!