Thread: over-voltage
View Single Post
Unread 10-29-17, 10:24 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hello all! Well, it looks as though it has been 7 years since I last posted on this thread about my over-voltage issues! Well a Halloween horror story, the beast is back. Dang it!

Started two flights ago. In cruise climb about 10 minutes after departure all is well and a little zap and pop in my headset and sure enough, the over-voltage relay has tripped and the alternators are off. Crap, hmmm, well I reset and all goes well the rest of the day for the remaining two hours of flying. Passing anomaly I hope. Time will tell.

Next flight this past weekend, in cruise, level flight on auto-pilot for 30 minutes or so with absolutely nothing going on other than to enjoy the view. Then, out of no where, little zap and pop and there is that damn beast. Reset, complete the flight and while I'm taxing to the ramp, the beast hits again. WTF.... I say.

Well, I enjoy my Halloweenie party for the night, next morning, fly home. First 30 minutes, all is well, and then in cruise, on auto-pilot, doing nothin, the beast strikes again. I reset and 5 miles from home while leveling to slow for the pattern, he strikes again. I do a quick reset to get the gear out, fly the pattern turning from base to final all configured for landing, the beast strikes again. He's an active mother f---er. It's simply fascinating to me how for 7 years and probably 400 hours of trouble free electrical operation and then all of the sudden out of no where the monster awakes.

Well, Ill be headed to the shop in the morning but in the mean time, if anyone has ever had this symptom (and I realize many of you have, I have read all the horror stories on this forum) and found a "SMOKING GUN" that cured it (as I have when I started this thread), please do tell. I'm sure we will do all the usual connection cleaning and ground checking, etc. That zap I hear in my headset, is an arc. I need to find that arc. The breaker box will be the first place I go, but the problem will likely not be there. I remember that repair like it was yesterday. That insulator box that holds the breakers will last 1000 years.

For all that are interested, stay tuned for how this Halloween horror story evolves!

Note: I love my Skymaster, the Halloween story is for dramatic effect! ;o)

Bye for now....