View Single Post
Unread 03-04-05, 11:52 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
I strongly suspect (but can't prove) that the #1 factor in engine longevity for the piston fleet has more to do with usage patterns. Or, more accurately, lack of usage. I doubt that there are many airplanes out there that don't experience an occasional period every few years where they sit for 30 days or more without being flown.

I read an article some time ago that supports this theory on an anecdotal basis. I was about one of the commercial piston operators (cape air or island air, I think). Their operating policy only allowed their pilots to use 4 distinct power settings for simplicity. They didn't have engine monitoring or anything fancy. And yet, they routinely made extended TBO's in their 400 series Cessnas (I believe the extended TBO was in the 3,000 hr range).

I am guessing that quality control at the factory would be the #2 factor, and that engine mismanagement would be #3.

I think that it is telling that we don't have anything like "Power by the Hour" in the piston fleet (to my knowledge). The turbine boys have had these kind of programs available for years. I can't believe that entrepenuers (or even the factories) haven't looked at offering this for piston engines, and have run scared because of the variability in piston engine life.