View Single Post
Unread 08-02-18, 01:11 AM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
Plenty of people fly NA over the rocks, and plenty of others fly turbos over the plains. The turbo gives you capabilities the NA doesn't, but also bills the NA doesn't. And they weigh something too.

This pilot's opinion: If flying above 10k feet regularly, a turbo is an extremely nice to have. If flying out of high DA airports, also extremely nice to have.

I think the concerns about climb performance to get over weather, or stranding passengers, are not the right ones. Why? Because if the weather is marginal without turbos, it will still be marginal with turbos. At 17k feet with passengers and fuel, even the turbo aircraft are not climbing more than ~600fpm without getting really hot. So climbing through 3000' of icing means 5 minutes -- long enough to build up a fair bit of ice, which in turn will make that climb even longer.

Bottom line: If you get the turbo, I doubt you'll regret it even if you rarely need it. But it will cost more to buy and maintain. If it were me, I'd buy it, but ... it isn't me, it's you

Dan