View Single Post
Unread 10-04-22, 11:46 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
I leave the gear down when making multiple VFR patterns after the first touch-n-go.
Same as I, LRJTR. I've never needed the currency, so I'm not in the pattern much except for night in the summer months. I leave it down because I can leave my electrical-driven air conditioner on. Yeah, it is still in the 90s here at night!

By all means, if a pilot needed the landing currency, I would say the best course is to do it all, as you need the procedure currency as well. But, on the other hand, as a CFI working with a pilot, and I'm confident that the after-takeoff and before-landing procedure is solid, I'm good if the gear stays in place. However, I want to see the before landing checklist performed and verbalized, not skipped.

Being a CFI involved with the Skymaster, I would like to add please ensure you are proficient in maneuvering the airplane at low altitude with the gear extended. There are a lot of circumstances that can put you in this configuration.

Also, practice manual gear extensions; it is a considerable distraction as it will put you "heads down" with your hand off the throttles. This is a perfect setup for an approach to a stall or whacking another airplane. Pilots seem to want to blow through this, but it takes some airspace to complete. Of course, you will want to exit any traffic pattern. I have yet to see a pilot that can lean down to reach the handle and still see over the glareshield. I suggest configuring the items per the checklist: look out, ten pumps, look out/adjust power, ten pumps, look out/adjust power, and repeat. This is important for a stable airspeed and maintaining level flight while looking for traffic. Flying the aircraft always comes first. This is a good example of the need to be familiar with flight in the traffic pattern with the gear down.