View Single Post
Unread 09-27-22, 10:31 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
I always retract the gear. Its like muscle memory for me. If you're afraid to retract your gear, there is an issue either with your airplane, or you mind.

Practice does not make perfect.

PERFECT practice makes perfect.

My suggestion would be to check the fluid level in the power pack before doing your bounces. This will help with confidence, and its something we should be doing anyway. Takes all of 60 seconds.

If you don't how, no shame. The center pedestal has a cover at the bottom attached with velcro. Remove it, and the dipstick should be apparent. Remove that and verify fluid level. If low, add your choice of hydraulic fluid. I use automatic transmission fluid, but you can purchase dedicated "hydraulic fluid" at the Tractor supply. Forklifts and tractors use it. The auto supply will also have "jack fluid". IMHO its all the same.

You know what my problem is? Cowl flaps. I can't tell you how many times during initial cruise I've looked down at my airspeed and wondered why I wasn't doing book numbers, only to remember I never closed the cowl flaps!!! We didn't have cowl flaps in the airlines, so its not in my mental muscle memory. I finally had to write my own checklist so I'd be reminded to do it. Thought about putting a huge sticker in front of me that says "COWL FLAPS???" LOL

Last edited by mshac : 09-27-22 at 10:52 PM.