View Single Post
Unread 09-18-02, 11:57 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Talking JA Air Center

About three years ago I bought a KLN-90B and an NSD-360 through an Internet auction site. JA Air Center was the seller.

I found them most supportive. I called and asked them questions about the two pieces of equipment before placing a bid. (I didn't know much about either).

I was fortunate enough to win the bid for both items. I called JA Air Center several times for more information before letting a contract to my local avionics installer. I found JA most willing to help me in any way possible and I feel that their integrity is above reproach.

If you are buying your equipment from them, I believe you can bank on anything they tell you.

The database for the KLN-90B is not very inexpensive. You are not required to have a current database to use the unit for IFR navigation but YOU DO HAVE TO VERIFY THE DATA FOR EACH WAYPOINT YOU USE IN YOUR FLIGHT PLAN if you don't have a current database.

King has a good feature. When you buy an annual subscription (which includes 13 updates) you are allowed 18 (I believe) months to use it. (could be 15, but I'm prety sure it is 18). This allows you to not waste an update while your airplane is in the shop fot that one week annual that ends up lasting two months.

It is downloadable through the internet and very easy to install in the GPS receiver from your computer.

And yes, it is enroute AND approach certified. I THINK everything that is approach cetifiable is automatically enroute certified.

As for linking the GPS to the Argus 5000 or 7000, I think you need a separate database for that. I'm not aware of requirements for IFR certification, but I am pretty sure that the GPS can be used IFR even if the Argus is not certified. You may just have to keep in mind what id providing the primary navigation data.