View Single Post
Unread 08-18-02, 11:18 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Yep.... its not the actuator..

Skyking is right... its not the trubo system... as it only controls the MP... RPM after 1800 is controlled by the prop govnr.... you might want to pull it and have it checked... bet you will find the little screen up at the inlet is kinda full of stuff too... as its a real fine stanless steel screen and it traps parts of the carbon so it doesn't go into the gov gears which increase the oil pressure to the prop piston which cause it to pitch... also if you have sagging oil pressure you might want to check with a master gauge...sometime s on the high time engines the galley way fills up with crud too... if the oil is not changed frequently... smile...

As to Skykings problem... you need to cap off the accuator and check for full operation... and no you can not fly it that way.... but, I would bet your problem is either with the accuator or controller...

And it does no good to clean out the accuator if you don't clean out the lines.. too... after all their is more of that stuff just waiting at the bottom of the accessory case lined up to hit the road thru the tunnel of the lines right back into the accuator... but, if in fact its not the accuator.. sorry .. your going to have to pull the controller and send it in ...

Now just for your info.. yes you can cap off the accuator.. and it will give you full turbo boost... and yes you can take off with it.. but, its called manual override.. and if you are not on the stick ... so to speek you can bend rods.. and do all kinds of nasty stuff to your engine... but, in a emergency...you can have the power if you need it.. and don't have a way to clean/clear the accuator... but, we don't recomend it... as others do.. because the system should work right all of the time or else don't fly... kinda thing...

As to the accessory screen/filters... seems that someone is going to have to make them.. as we are not able to get anyone around here that even wants to touch something that says Airplane on it.... James Hinderson sent me the drawings.. and that becomes another problem.. they seem to think that it might be infringment... gee... what next...

Skyking also has a set of the drawings... but, James if the guy who made them up might want to also make them up... I would like to hear from him... could you please ask... as it seems that the FAA is starting to come around and after many hours of talking they are saying good things... I gave them the old what ya going to do if it fails on take off.. with out it... then are you going to be responsible... and they shrugged their shoulders and all said... well.... maybe you have something their... great but, then who is going to make it up... is next... and how much are they going to cost each...

Cessna didn't respond with anything... nor did Cont engine so time is up.. now we can proceed with plans to go the 337 route... for field approval... but, we need a test pilot... for the first one... smile..kinda thing...

I look at it this way... if you have the accuator clog up now.. it blocks the oil flow... so if the screen clogs up... what is the difference... but, the screen would allow more to be trapped before it does... still doesn't relieve you of the maintance problem of keeping the engine clean... but, we are also looking into a oil route change too.. which would not require the filters at all ... so we'll keep you posted... stand by for News... as they say.. may be a topic at the next yearly meeting for the skymasters.... smile... GMAs...