Thread: over-voltage
View Single Post
Unread 09-25-10, 11:48 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Well folks, just a brief note. Almost two years and over 200 hours since I last posted on this thread about my "over-voltage" tails of woe and the ugly beast has reappeared in my Skymaster. Same symptoms as last time. Random "popping" in my headset and on the last flight during the landing gear up cycle, the over-voltage sensor decided it was time to shut down the alternators. After resetting the over-voltage relay per procedure in flight, for the next 20 minutes, the beast caused no further problems. The problem has appeared on my last two short flights (about an hour total) with the over-voltage protection tripping on the last flight.

Of course, the first place I went was behind my circuit breaker panel and all was in perfect condition. Now the airplane is all opened up looking for evidence of a short circuit and arcing. Myself, a friend, and my IA have been everywhere you can be within reason without completely dismantling the electrical system and can see nothing obvious.

The plan now is to put the airplane together enough to go fly with my IA early next week and hope the beast shows it's ugly head while my IA intends to be crawling around the cabin looking for sparks while I try to isolate the issue. Currently, the "haystack" so to speak is quite large. I'll keep you posted.

Any suggestions?

Ed