View Single Post
Unread 02-28-16, 04:14 PM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Excellent points Herb.
I would add that if you fly above mountains or above clouds with ice or above weather you would not want to be in then it helps to know your single engine service ceiling for 'what if', especially if you are near max gross.
I have attached the single engine service ceiling for the P337H - if someone could post for the non-turbo'd Skymaster it could give you a basis for comparison.
Also have attached numbers for single engine rate of climb because if eg. you are taking off from Sedona airport at +20 degC, can you climb if an engine fails in a non-turbo?
One thing these tables do not include is density altitude. i.e. if you lose an engine at near max gross on a very hot and very humid day, can you even maintain eg. 6000' in a non-turbo?
These guys had a turbo but did not follow the POH and push up the MP into takeoff power ( http://generalaviationnews.com/2012/...l-it-cost-you/ ) i.e. 37"/2800". She left it at the top of the green arc i.e. 33" and crashed. What is the max MP on the non-turbo version? And it goes down 1" for every 1000 ft in a non-turbo.
Food for thought...
Also attached the both engines rate of climb for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Single Engine Ceiling.png
Views:	871
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Single Eng Max Climb Rate.png
Views:	908
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Max Climb Rate Both Engines.png
Views:	927