View Single Post
Unread 02-28-16, 12:10 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Here's the points that I would make and remember I don't have any time in a turbo Skymaster. I have been on a couple trips in P models but no time in a straight turbo. Saying that I do have a lot of experience in a Normal Aspirated Skymaster. I also have several hundred hours in turbo charged multi engine airplanes that are non pressurized.

Flying the normal aspirated Skymaster is just fine for 95% of my missions. Mission is the key word here. Identify the true mission that you expect to have and that will dictate the selection. I plan for 700 - 1000 FPM climbs up to flight level 100 at 120 - 140 MPH IAS. Beyond that and it's realistically 300 - 500 FPM up to about flight level 130. At flight level 130 it's time to don the mask so I really don't go there.

Saying that I learned to fly my normal aspirated Skymaster in the mountains of Idaho and the northwest states. Out there you depart at 4,000 ft and cruise at 12,000 to 16,000 ft to clear the mountains and weather. That's where I cut my teeth and didn't know any different. Now I'm a flatlander and the need to go above 10,000 ft is non-existent. Out in the west I didn't really think about it much, I had O2 on board but I was young and didn't really use it all that much. For the most part we would fly 12,000 ft on average or lower. But my record for my bird is 21,500 ft. With 2 adults and 2 younger ones on board, the performance held the altitude just fine. But for the most part in the normal aspirated birds flight level 160 is about as high as you want with full seats and fuel. I've maintained 12,000 ft on one engine with a light load.

Performances for the turbo model are going to be very similar until you continue beyond 10,000 ft. Manifold pressure will maintain and not disappear like the normal aspirated does. You will burn more fuel but that's because you still have HP being generated. Maybe some of the turbo drivers can chime in with some realistic performance numbers.

The problem I see is you still have to don the mask. Not a big deal if it's just you and your favorite co-pilot but when you get the family in there or passengers it gets complicated. Not the best or easiest procedure to take care of. Sure you can fly around at flight level 140 or 160 and get away with causing too much problem with the passengers but you the pilot better have the O2 on. Speed is better with turbos but along with that comes more fuel burn. I think having the right mission that requires higher altitudes the P model makes things simpler and convenient. But if I was still out west, flying the mountains and I found the right straight turbo I would not hesitate to make it fit my mission. Turbos aren't a must out there but they really do make a better platform for that environment.

The earlier straight turbos have the one piece entrance door but you also have a baggage door. I like my baggage door. The two piece door on the late model is really nice but I would miss my baggage door. For the right plane and condition I might give up my baggage door. If you go P model then you don't plan for a baggage door. End of subject. Cessna only made 11 Turbo model H aircraft (1979-1980) and most of those are owned by Air Scan. Those are nice birds, rarest out there.

So what's the mission?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years