View Single Post
Unread 09-26-17, 01:10 PM

tomcomet is on a distinguished road
New Member & Purchase Question

Hello everyone. I am a brand new member and in the process of purchasing (hopefully) a 1977 F337G Reims build Skymaster up here in Canada. Everything was looking great until the pre purchase inspection yesterday when my AME discovered some pitting and signs of corrosion on the insides of the cylinder walls. The rear engine was worse than the front. Yikes!

This is a very low time SM with just over 1400 TTSN and very little flying time in the past 15 years. It has the original Rolls-Royce Continental IO-360-G engines so I was expecting to see some issues there BUT I was also hoping to squeak a few more years out before overhaul and then do them one at a time.

The rest of the plane is in amazing shape. 2 owners and logs back to day one. I guess I am just looking for opinions from some folks with real world experience flying the SM. Also, overhaul experiences and current rates. Yes, I have searched the site and read what is out there but some of the posts are pretty old now. Has anyone redone their engines lately? Cost?? How about corrosion issues and input there?

Any and all knowledge is greatly appreciated. I still hope to own a Skymaster one day. Just not sure now if this is the ONE for me...