Thread: Water in tank
View Single Post
Unread 02-21-10, 10:13 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Not sure on the newer models like yours but there is a drain at the service cap for the tank on my '68 that will drain any fuel that overflows during fueling. This drain is a small 1/8 inch tube that passes through the tank before exiting over board under the wing. If there is any corrosion in that tube inside the fuel tank moisture from atop the wing will pass down around the service door to the tank and drain out through that tube. If the tube is bad the moisture deposits in your fuel cell.

Just a place to check.

The photos show the door over the service port and the door open at the service port. Notice the small hole (drain) at the upper left of the photo. This is the tube that passes through the tank and exits under the wing.
Gary
The same scenario I was describing here. When we had the SOAPA fly in last year at Branson we based at Point Lookout and your incident was brought up by several pilots around the airport at Point Lookout.

The way that I checked my tubes that drain from the service port to the underside of the wing (yes these pass through the tank on all skymasters) was to seal the bottom side of the tube under the wing and add fuel to the tube from the top at the service port to see if the fuel stays in the tube or releases somewhere between. I did this with some of the tanks out of the wing but this could be performed with the tanks in place on the aircraft.

It is good to know that you and your passengers were able to walk away from this incident and I respect your choice to tell the story so that maybe someone else does not have this issue.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years